Sunday, March 13, 2011

Camels In Cars

I have always had a certain fascination with regard to the Bedouin tribes.

These nomads of the desert are such romantic figures. I've seen them portrayed in movies and I've read numerous stories about them.

When my husband Alex was stationed in the middle east for a year during the Iraq War, he spent a good amount of time in Saudi Arabia. During some of his "cultural field trips" in Saudi, he claims to have seen numerous Bedouin people. While I believe a lot of what Alex says, there are some times when I question his veracity.

Alex told me that the Bedouin people are mostly seen now driving SUV's, with their camels in the car with them. It was not unusual he said to see camels' heads stuck out of the sun roofs on as the people drove down the freeways.

When I mentioned this to some friends because I thought it was amazing, they burst into laughter and said "Alex is kidding, Linda." The subtext being "how can you be so stupid?" of course.

When I confronted my husband saying "Why did you lie to me?" he responded that he was telling the absolute truth. He saw Bedouins driving along with their camels in their SUV heading out into the desert. Alex further elaborated that the camels can "fold up their legs" and fit in an SUV just fine.

Okay, I have no idea if this is the truth or a lie. I think it makes some sort of sense, but on the other hand it doesn't. What self respecting Bedouin would only have one camel? I think they have a whole herd of camels.

But maybe Bedouins only take their favorite with them when they go to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment