Friday, April 16, 2010

Smile or Smirk - Real News?

I love

Christiane Amanpour.

I have been watching her for years. I trust this woman. When she speaks, I believe her.

I've seen her smile. There are times she finds situations amusing. I have never seen her smirk.

It seems that the real news people sometimes smile. I even remember Walter Cronkite smiling on occasion. I don't ever recall him smirking. Katie Couric smiles as does Diane Sawyer. They are not smirking women.

When I see people on Fox News, MSNBC, and even CNN, I see a lot of smirking. It kind of makes me discount what they are saying. What is it about what they are saying that makes them feel like they have an inside joke?

Sarah Palin and Glen Beck smirk. So do Bill Maher and Rachel Maddow. I can find all of them fairly engaging as performers, but certainly not as news presenters. They are not people I can go to for "facts".

When I smirk it's because I'm being sarcastic. Actually, sarcasm is not my favorite thing. I don't like smirks to tell me how ridiculous the other side is in any argument. It can be fine as entertainment. It just doesn't work for information as far as I'm concerned.

The truth is, there are only a few journalists that I feel any amount of trust in. And those people may smile once in a while, but they never "smirk".

No comments:

Post a Comment