Monday, March 4, 2013

So Three Ladies Walk Into A Bar - Version 3

I really had no idea what to expect.

Hell, I'd been on the road since 10:00 AM, and didn't arrive in Phoenix until nearly 4 PM.  (Traveling with Zoe our pit bull proved to be a bit challenging.)

Harry was cool.  He lay in the cargo area on his mattress and slept most of the trip.  Zoe walked back and forth on the back seat panting and squealing at the top of her lungs.

"Do you think she needs to pee?", "Do you think she needs to poo?", "Do you think she needs water?".  It seemed we needed to stop at every rest stop area between Indio and Phoenix.  I felt dirty with grime from the road, and we really had not eaten since leaving our hotel in Indio.  I don't "do" breakfast, but Alex does.  Oh wait, I didn't eat the night before either.  We drove from Alameda to Indio in about 7 hours.  By the time we got to Indio, nerves were frayed and restaurants were closed.  Bummer.

We pulled into the Phoenix Biltmore Embassy Suites and it felt like a true oasis in the desert.  Lovely lobby, great suite of rooms, even a little private patio.  Although I was scheduled to meet sister-bloggers, Barbara Schuster and Ann Curry for dinner shortly, I was ravenous.  I sent Alex out asking that he bring back something to eat as quickly as possible.  I jumped in the shower (badly needed), and then applied cute make up, and finger combed my long curly locks of hair.  Okay, that was a lie.  I pushed my hands through my crew cut.  I was goofy tired and starved but at least I looked clean and smelled better than I had before.  Still, I was a bit stressed and dehydrated and hungry.  Did I already mention hungry? I threw on some clothes and my trademark Prada stilettos and a tiny spray of Coco by Chanel, and I was ready for action.

I was just shoving a bite of a turkey sandwich into my mouth when Barbara called from the lobby letting me know she had arrived.

Barbara is a bubbly, beautiful, high energy gal.  She is warm, funny, adventurous and has a 1,000 megawatt smile.  I loved her at first sight.  We went back to our suite and I introduced her to Alex and Zoe and Harry.  Alex was polite, Zoe not so much.  I continued to try and shove more turkey sandwich in my mouth realizing how crude I was being but I couldn't help it.  Barbara pretended not to notice.  (I told you she's adorable.)

Ann telephoned and gave Barbara directions to the bar where we would rendezvous with her.  It was a short ride away.  I left Alex and the pups to their own devices and we took off.

At first glance, I knew Ann was landed gentry.  She was perfect!  Her stylish rich girl hair and diamond studs wowed me!  Never mind that, the woman looked to be made from crushed pearls.  Prettiest darned skin I've ever seen on anybody over the age of 3 months.  (Yes, at one point, I did fondle her ankle.  It was just as smooth and perfect as it looked.)  When Ann speaks, it conjures up visions of mint juleps and manicured lawns on plantations.  She is a magnificent example of pure Southern womanhood.  She bowled me over!

I drank two margaritas in rapid succession.  Damn that tasted good!  Further, we drank some wine with our dinner, and then followed it up with a brandy later.  We talked and laughed for what seemed like hours!  I loved these girls!

When it came time to go back to my hotel, I realized I had never checked to see what our room number was.  (Did I mention I was tipsy by then?  Okay, maybe I was pretty tipsy.)  The lobby would not give me Alex's room number since my last name and his are not the same, but I finally figured our I could call Alex and ask him to let his drunk-assed wife into the room.

The next night, Alex and I had dinner with Barbara and Ann.  It was another fun and lovely evening.

I wish Barbara and Ann lived in my neighborhood! 

64 comments:

  1. mikewjattoomanymorningsMarch 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

    Now I want to touch Ann's ankle.

    You have all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me nostalgic for our weekend visit last year.  I'm so glad you went had such a fabulous time.  And kudos to Alex for being such a good sport.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun time except for poor Zoe.  I love Embassy Suites!  You did a great job writing about this adventure -- so poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  4.  Touching Ann's ankle was fairly wonderful.  I'm sorry you won't get to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5.  It really was crazy fun, Jayne!  Lovely women!  Alex enjoyed them too!  (So did Harry and Zoe once she calmed down.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zoe is a piece of work, Jeanie.  It really was a fun little vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great time! It would have been funny if Alex had come out into the hall and found you sleeping on a chair...seriously, this happened to a family member at a wedding. We couldn't figure out why she was sleeping in the hall and her hubby was in their room; she'd forgotten the room number and just crashed where she was which was only a few doors down, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8.  Suzicate, I would have gotten another room for me if it had come to that.  Hotel rooms are tricky for me.  I do better with motels.  (It figures, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great fun, minus the pacing pooch in the back seat. I definitely live in the wrong state. You all have so much fun out in the west coast. I think we're too damn cold back east to do anything more than whine and wine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, so who let you into your room the next night? Can Harry handle door knobs?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always write your room number on your hand.  They never go for the old "Manydogs" trick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much for that extremely complimentary description of me! I'm so happy we all got to meet up after all this commenting on each other's blogs and each other's comments on the blogs. You forgot to mention that I was the one who told you, "You have to call Alex now and find out the room number."

    ReplyDelete
  13.  P.S. If I lived in your neighborhood, I would get too exhausted from hanging out with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14.  Hell Barbara, I could have just slept in the lobby!  I'm glad you were with me or I might have gone to the room two doors up.

    ReplyDelete
  15.  You are so right, Paula.  Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  16.  Zoe can open doors, but Harry can announce I'm outside the door.  Who said I went to the same room the next night?

    ReplyDelete
  17.  Lauren, it really was fun.  I think it was 80 degrees in Phoenix, but that's a little too hot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your hotel is right around the corner from my office!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like my kind of fun! 

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, look at you lovely ladies! It sounds like you had a wonderful time and nobody even got locked inside a car! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. 80 sounds really good to me. It's in the twenties here.l

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.  I can just imagine the trouble you would have gotten into had you not been able to call Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  23.  Well, Honey, there was the construction worker two doors up.

    ReplyDelete
  24.  Becky, I think you would have had a blast with us too!

    ReplyDelete
  25.  Mrs. T, I wish I had known that in advance!  I would have loved the opportunity to meet you as well!  And you would have added to the party in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  26.  We had fun, Nicky!  You would have enjoyed these women.  But you know I would crawl on my belly like a reptile for you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What wonderful portraits of these two women. Sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  28.  You belong someplace warm and sassy. Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a grand time! So glad that you got to have a meet-up!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I felt like I was there with you!!! Lovely story and even lovelier ladies!!!! I wish I could meet up with you too some day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31.  It really was fun!  I think the road trip was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  32.  They are both simply gorgeous and delightful, Fiona!  I'm so glad I got to meet them both!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sounds like a really fun time was had. Even not knowing what room you were in. It's all part of the adventure! ha 

    ReplyDelete
  34.  Jay, if I knew your room number, I would have just come to you for solace (and some tequila)!

    ReplyDelete
  35.  I am so glad you had such a wonderful time.  I have done that...leaving and not noticing my room number.  I hope Zoe was less nervous on the trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love getting together with my internet/blog friends as much as I miss the ones I live near and don't see enough! I love that you connect with your "outer state" friends! So very cool! You know you and I are overdue to meet and share some cocktails and inappropriate stories! 

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awwww...I love meeting blog buddies!

    You were in the car for 6 hours? You're my hero. My max is 4.

    ReplyDelete
  38.  Thoughtsy, it really was a fun trip.  From where I live to Phoenix is actually about 11 hours.  We have driven straight through, but breaking it up is a much easier trip.

    ReplyDelete
  39.  Angie, when you come out this way, I'd love to get together with you!  We'd have a blast!  I have the cocktail shaker ready.  The ice is in the freezer!  Come on out!

    ReplyDelete
  40.  It used to be easy with the room numbers on the keys.  But now, those long rows of doors, all looking alike and the numbers are actually not that easy to see.  I didn't check the number when I left with Barbara.  I should have but I didn't think of it.

    Zoe was somewhat better on the way back.  She actually lay down for some of the time and slept.  Poor baby was just stressed by the long ride and the strange smells (cows, sheep, horses, skunks, etc.).    Harry used to be the same way, but he's mellowed with age.  So have I come to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sounds like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  42.  I really enjoyed the trip, Nancy! 

    ReplyDelete
  43. Sounds like an excellent time. One day, I assure you, I will meet some fellow bloggers. It always seems fun!

    ReplyDelete
  44.  I have really enjoyed the people I have met.  Each and every one of them have been delightful.  The best of all was having Nicky and her beautiful son Max come for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Awwwwwwwwwww! What a FABULOUS time! I am so jealous! I need to meet YOU in real life one of these days! 

    ReplyDelete
  46. LInda - I just got around to reading your post - not sure how I missed it. Your check is in the mail for the description you attributed me. Yes, Barbara has a 1000 mega watt smile and would keep me happy with her travel stories. And, you, my dear, are a lady with tales to tell. It was a blast and what a treat. And, where have you been hiding Alex. He's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I think we both need Barbara around to get us safely home. Someone needs to maintain their sanity. Unfortunately, then she shows up the next morning with the pictures and  tales of the night before we may not remember.

    ReplyDelete
  48.  Ann, it was such a delight meeting you and hanging out for a couple of evenings.  You are a fun and gorgeous woman!  And I'm totally serious about your charms.  Alex is a good one.  I'm keeping him unless he seriously misbehaves.  Then he'd better watch out for almond scented cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  49.  I may have to come to New Jersey just to check you out.  I'd love that Meleah!  We need to get together at some point.  I know I'd love you even more than I already do!

    ReplyDelete
  50.  Ann, Baby, we can always call the limo if Barbara won't come out and play!

    ReplyDelete
  51. The bright smiles of you three prove the tale of the fun outing.  Wish I had been along.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I always spent my half an hour to read this website's posts everyday along with a cup of coffee.

    Take a look at my website 16697
    Also see my web site > 96999

    ReplyDelete
  53. Sounds like a fabulous visit.  I love it when I get to meet my blogger friends in person.  

    ReplyDelete
  54. TheEquestrianVagabondMarch 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM

    i can just imagine you girls gossipping and giggling and everybody else around you jealous they weren't a part!

    ReplyDelete
  55.  I think we snorted and laughed more than was ladylike.  (I also drank more than was ladylike.)  My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  56. It sounds like you had such a lovely time! I can't help but feel that we are the same person sometimes! You are hilarious :) And I love your description of people! You made me feel as if I knew these ladies too (I wish I did!!) Can I be invited next time?

    ReplyDelete
  57. Katherine, I'd love to have you join me for dinner, drinks, or even tea. I know we'd have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  58. It was really such fun Jodi! You would have had a blast!

    ReplyDelete