Thursday, June 7, 2012

What Is Wrong With Excess?

I have 30 pairs of black shoes.

I know some people think I have too many shoes.  I'm here to tell you, there's no such thing.

At last count, I think I had about 120 pairs, but then I gave away some of them to Goodwill.  (Yes, women who shop at Goodwill like stilettos too.)  (Sometimes the men like stilettos as well, don't they Michael?)

In any case, I've always said if a little bit is good, more's better.  I think I have curbed some of my natural impulses toward surplus.  I don't pile on the jewelry any more.  I still wear earrings, bracelets, my watch, my two rings and my ankle bracelet every day.  But I stopped wearing toe rings, 4 or five rings on both hands, 10 gold chains at the same time and so on.  It's not that I don't like those excessive things.  I do.  But they tend to look a little tacky on me now.

When I was young and Mexican, I wore it all.  Now that I am older and Mexican.  I tone it down.  No more rhinestones for this girl!  Not even on my bras!  Okay, I still have that one pair of black panties with the rhinestones, but hardly anyone ever sees those.  Okay, maybe just a few people see those.

Way I figure it, if you have on something really cool, make sure somebody (a few people) gets to see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment