Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Lindsay Sentenced To Jail Time

I watched this live this afternoon and was very surprised at the amount of sympathy I have for this young woman.

While I certainly don't condone her actions, I think maybe it's the mother in me that hated to see her in tears and trying to explain her actions. She's only 24 years old, and yes, that is an adult, but she is a very troubled girl.

People start their kids off in this strange path, and frequently the child turns into a franchise. Nobody else in the family works. The kid becomes the family business.

When you are supporting a family of 4 and you are 14 or 15 years old, I'm sure the dynamics of the family are quite different from anything I've experienced. I've seen photos of Lindsay from when she was still a teenager passed out from drugs or alcohol at parties. These photos are prized by the sleazy magazines because they help to sell copies.

Both of Lindsay's parents are disgraceful and have never given her the "parenting" she needed. She's a troubled and lost young woman. She broke the law and now she's going to pay for it by serving time in a jail. When I saw her break down crying, it really made me sick. Put the damned parents in the jail too.

The only positive thing that came out of this is that after serving her sentence, Lindsay will have to go to rehab for 90 days which might even save her life. She was sentenced to 90 days in jail, which I am sure will not be 90 days. Still, the girl is sick and needs treatment, not punishment.

I've seen Lindsay in a couple of movies and think she's cute. I don't really know a damned thing about her. I just think that she's gotten a pretty raw deal in life. As parents, we have an obligation to our children, not the other way around.

If you don't agree, feel free to say so. I don't bite (hard).

No comments:

Post a Comment