Monday, December 20, 2010

Scare Eye!

Okay, this poor unfortunate woman is not me.

But her eyes look very much like mine do today. I caught a nasty virus from my husband. Alex was home sick for 3 day last week.

He went around the whole house, coughing and sneezing and touching things with his germy hands. Efforts to quarantine Alex were futile. He moved from room to room and touched things no matter what I said.

(We have a very nice room that he could go to and stay when he is sick where he would be far away from me. Will he go there? Of course not.)

I awoke Sunday morning with a blaring headache and a cough and a runny nose and runny eyes. Really attractive, right? As the day progressed, I was feeling worse rather than better. Something tells me I caught my husband's crud.

We went to bed about 10. Because I could not lie down and breathe at the same time because of congestion, I decided to get up and stay up until I could no longer hold my eyes open. Then and only then would I take my chances of dying from not breathing after falling asleep. I also (considerately, I might add) decided to sleep in one of the downstairs bedrooms so as not to disturb Alex's beauty rest.

I had been dosing myself for hours with aspirin, sudafed, and cough syrup. (I never take those things but I was trying to get a leg up on this virus. I also drank about a quart of orange juice.) About 3 AM, I finally went into one of the bedrooms and found Harry, our 90 pound dog sleeping there. I figured, it was a cold night, so what the hell and climbed into bed with Harry.

When I woke up, I felt like I'd been run over by a truck. Even my hair hurt. I took more pills and grabbed my coffee. For the next two hours, I sat in a semi-coma and read emails and blogs. I finally thought perhaps bathing would not be a bad thing.

That's when it happened. I looked in the bathroom mirror. Oh dear God in heaven, what happened to my eyes? When I was a child, I had a pet frog. My frog got sick and his eyes swelled up just like mine looked this morning. Then he died.

Now, I'm not saying I'm going to die, but it looks to me like I have some kind of allergic reaction to aspirin? sudafed? cough medicine? orange juice? Harry?

It's not a look I really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment