Saturday, March 19, 2011

She Said "Fine"

My husband, Alex, is on vacation next week.

That's nice, right? Uh huh.

Alex made a plan to go visit his mother in Phoenix and catch a Giants spring training baseball game. Uh huh.

He will be leaving on Tuesday morning and coming home late Thursday evening. Uh huh. That leaves Monday and Friday for us to enjoy "vacation" together.

Well, okay, it was my suggestion. Alex brought it up and at first I thought we would all drive down to Phoenix. The problem is that we have two big dogs. Harry, the boy dog, doesn't like to travel. He can't sleep in a moving car. In fact, he can't even sit down.

After 4 or 5 hours in the car, Harry is whimpering and crying with exhaustion. I guess I could drug him, but then we'd have to deal with a drugged standing up whimpering and crying Harry.

Another issue with Harry is that he does not like to poo anyplace but home. This makes for an uncomfortable couple of days for him. Harry doesn't like travel in other words. And, kennels are out of the question. Both of my dogs have "issues".

After some consideration, this began to sound like a lot more trouble than it was worth. I told Alex, "Honey, you just use your airline miles and go down to see your Mom."

Alex immediately said, "Oh no, I can't do that! I travel all the time for work, and I leave you alone far too much, my darling wife! There is no way I would even consider doing what you have suggested!" Uh huh.

Well, actually, that's not exactly what he said. He said "Oh, okay." And I responded "Fine." Maybe I will send him along some nice almond scented cookies for his plane ride. I do look quite fetching in black.

No comments:

Post a Comment