Monday, February 22, 2010

I've Been Wrong So Much It Feels Like Right To Me


We had a contractor put an economy size built-in dishwasher in our kitchen about 7 years ago.

After it was installed and I went to use it for the first time, I realized that there was no way you could put a full sized dish in the thing. I seethed, felt cheated by the manufacturer, and above all, I felt stupid for having selected such a weird-assed dishwasher.

For the next five years, I used the dishwasher for glasses, silverware, and little plates and cups. People asked me all the time, why I handwashed my Cost Plus $1.49 white dinner plates. (Now, don't feel sorry for me, I have the good china but only pull it out for "special". I'm so lower middle class.)

I explained to one and all, that the dishwasher was the strangest design ever and everyone concurred that I had a very peculiar dishwasher.

One day, a person came over and saw me doing my dishwashing plates routine and said, "why don't you just throw them in the dishwasher?". I explained again and the person replied "Bullshit. Let me see." The person pulled out the top rack and put it back on a higher track. I will not name this person because that would be admitting that the person is smarter than me.

This solution was so simple and elegant. I was struck dumb (as in stupid not speechless) seeing how two minutes of logic could change my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment