Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chasing Tail


Harry likes to chase his tail. Honey does not. What does this tell you?

Getting back to stalking a boy when I was 13, I made the biggest mistake a girl can make. I chased him. Oh maybe I was subtle about it (NOT), but I was chasing him. This was a mistake.

(My second mistake might have been that since I was in love with Elvis Presley, I should have waited for Elvis Presley. It turns out that at 13, I was not too young for the king after all.)

After the age of 13, I realized one really important thing. Males really like to chase females. It's an important part of the ritual to them. And, sadly, the more they have to chase, the more valuable she becomes in his eyes.

When my darling husband and I were first together romantically, he indeed did have to chase me. I had rules that had to be followed. Rather than responding with a "to hell with her", he liked pursuing me.

If Alex called me and then proceeded to have conversations with a roommate while he was on the phone with me, I would say sweetly, "Oh you're busy! Later, Honey," and hang up. Count to ten and Alex was back on the line, giving me his undivided attention.

Although Alex was a "poor sailor" when we were first together, he always paid for movies, dinner, drinks, and so on if we went out. In return, I cooked for him many times or just entertained him at home. But, if we went out, it was on his dime. Why? Because he needed to feel like the aggressor in the relationship.

The few times I allowed myself the occasion of "giving it up way too soon", it came back to bite me in the butt. Men figure that if it's too easy, it's not worth much. Just like Harry, men like to chase tail!

No comments:

Post a Comment